Sunday, January 11, 2009

Once Upon A Time

I have found great joy in reading my sister's blog. I live 300 miles away, so it is nice to read how my niece and nephews are doing. I love to read about her opinions and hear how life is going. I get a lot of insight and can find the "right" thing I need to hear at the time. What else are big sisters for right? As I was reading through her blog this morning, I got some crazy inspiration to start my own. I know that she, and possibly the potential of my mother, are going to be the only people to read this...but I don't mind. =] 

I have titled this "Once Upon A Time" because I am writing my own history. It is a new year, new me, new semester, and of course...new blog! It all starts somewhere. I believe in dreams. I am also big Disney fanatic so it only makes sense to have that as my base. 

I am going to apologize upfront, I do make mistakes with english grammar and spelling and things like such as....so pretend not to see them =]

I have seen the tremendous example of my loving sister and I have decided to make a gratitude section. So here it goes! 

1. Naturally, I am grateful for my sister. I look up to her and all her strength and beautiful glory! She is spiritual and a shining light. She is "thrifty" in all of her purchases. She is a mastered chef, even if it is only in the heart of her own kitchen. She is kind and she is my favorite sister! =]

2. While on the subject of family, I am forever in debt to my parents. Not particularly financially, but on so many other levels. They have molded me to be the person I am now. They have forgiven me for my mistakes. They have helped me learn the lessons from situations I would not normally see the good. My mother has supported me through years of dance and has NEVER missed a single competition or performance. Not even for the girls I'm teaching. My father has been the one to teach me to believe in dreams and never give up. If I have a hankering for something, I better find the means to do it because I can! I love my parents.

3. I am grateful for Sunday music. I struggled as a child to have the desire for Sunday music. Now being away at college, I find so much pleasure and peace listening to Sunday music. I feel the spirit and the love the savior has for us. It is also and strengthening tool throughout the week.

4. I am grateful for the opportunity to participate in school. I am getting the education I need and want to help me get farther in my career and life. I know other people do not have the same opportunity.

5. I am EXTREMELY grateful for chocolate milk. It is my escape. It is my comfort food.

6. I am grateful for movies. They are my release from reality. Especially Disney movies. 

7. Being grateful for Disney movies leads to the next one, I am grateful for Disneyland! I love Disneyland with all my heart! I love going there every second I can. I am a sponge to soak of information about Disneyland. 

8. I am grateful for temples around the world. They stand as a beacon of hope. They light of the sky. They are the place for marriage.

9. I am grateful for pictures. Most people know me to take pictures. I love pictures. I am grateful for pictures to reflect on happy memories.

10. I am grateful for trials and tribulation. I have learned life lessons from my mistakes. I have learned of the love my family has for me and each other. I have learned who I am. Importantly, I have learned who I want to be.

11. I am grateful for shower at my apartment. The water comes out extremely hard and rough, but I get a back massage every time.

12. I am grateful for bottled alfredo sauce. It makes for an easy dinner when I am not in the mood to cook. Which has happened quite often.

13. I am grateful for the SunTran bus drivers. They have an upbeat attitude and make the bus ride more enjoyable on my way to work.

14. I am grateful for Sacrament meeting. Not only is it a place to renew covenants, but a place for me to have my own personal entertainment while watching the children in other benches. It also prepares me to be a better mother with better teaching techniques by watching through example.

There is so much more to be grateful for but I am afraid of getting carpal tunnel. These are not particularly funny but they are indeed things I am grateful for. Maybe sometime after my wrists have rested, I will write more. 

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
-Aristotle 

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, I love your blog!!!! I'm so happy to be able to share thoughts with you here. I'll be checking at least daily (not that you have to write that much - I just want you to know how interested I am in your life). And, of course, I love your list.

    You talked about Sunday music, and I wanted to share my favorites. I REALLY like instrumental music, and for piano I prefer Jon Schmidt. Lyle Hadlock is also good, but a little more plain. My new passion is violin though, and Jenny Oaks Baker has some awesome violin stuff. You can get her stuff in iTunes if you're interested.

    Also, you mentioned bottled alfredo sauce. Of course that is yummy and easy, but I've found a new recipe that I like. You can try it or stick with the bottled stuff - whatever suits your fancy. It only has four ingredients: 1 package cream cheese (I think fat free would be OK), 3/4 c. parmesan, 1/2 c. butter, and 1/2 c. milk. Combine them all in a saucepan and heat on medium/high until all the ingredients are melted together. Make sure to stir often to prevent scalding. And that's it! Easy huh? I'm warning you though, it's really thick and rich. I like to do about 1/3 alfredo and 2/3 red sauce on my pasta to make it creamy but not so calorie laden. What do you think?

    Well, I'd better stop now - this is as long as an actual blog post! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to think I am crazy, but I usually read Jen's blog, and now I will glance at yours. I am happy that you have found an outlet for your thoughts and feelings. Don't be afraid to share with those you love. And Jeni's alfredo is good. That's why she ate the leftovers before I had a chance. Good luck with this term, and keep working hard. And if you need any help or protection, you have four brothers that will be down there to help you. Don't forget that you are loved and we want you to be safe and happy.

    ReplyDelete