Monday, January 26, 2009

Oh The Weather Outside Is Frightful

I decided to spend the weekend at home in Lehi. I drove home Friday afternoon with my roommate KC and her friend Lisa. Regretfully, we left Lehi, Sunday afternoon at 4:00 to head back to St. George. We get to the Orem center street exit when a highway patrol pulls out in front of us and starts swerving back and forth so nobody would pass him. We followed behind him, going 30 mph for a couple miles. We came around the UVU bend where there was a big puddle of water that covered the carpool lane to the median. This was only a minor setback and we kept on going. We got a little past Nephi when KC's car started shaking. It ended up that we had a flat tire. Triple A would not come help us so it was good that I know how to change a tire. As I started, a man from Louisiana pulled over to help. Shortly after a highway patrol stopped. All in all, we got the tire fixed. We were on the road driving but not with ease. The snow was so bad we could only go 30 mph and it was still really difficult to see. It felt like we weren't moving at all. We stopped in Fillmore to get some food and hot chocolate. I was putting the lid on my hot chocolate and guess I grabbed the cup to hard and it shot up in my eye, on my glasses, in my hair, and all over my white shirt. It was some bad news right there. We got back on the road and it was still really difficult to see. We were close to being hit a few times as well. Really scary! We dropped Lisa off in Cedar and seriously toyed with the idea of spending the night in Cedar City. I have never had to drive in a storm so bad. I have also never been so scared. It took us 7 hours to get home. I thought I would be home at the latest 8:00 but we didn't get back until 11:00 at night. All I can say is I am glad I am home and I am grateful for the power of prayer! 

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"
-Wayne Gretzky 


1 comment:

  1. Ha, ha. That actually made me laugh. That is EXACTLY what it was like when I was in Cedar City. I remember going home through snow, and hating diesel trucks that would make it so we couldn't see because of how much snow they kicked up. I remember how slow we had to drive. I even remember a time going home with a girl who had broken windshield wipers. We had to try and see through the snow packing on the windshield, and every couple of miles I would have to roll down the window and wipe the snow off by hand. I must say though, those years made me a good snow driver. I am so relieved you are safe. And way to go with the spare tire thing. I have a vague idea on how to change a tire, but I couldn't do it if I had to. I can't believe Triple A wouldn't help you. Why have it then???

    ReplyDelete